Consent to Treat Minors

All minors under the age of 18 must have consent provided by a parent or legal guardian in order for UCSD Student Health Services to render medical care (with exceptions for emergencies and as provided by California state law).

See the chart below to determine when parental consent is required. In addition, a parent or legal guardian must sign an acknowledgement of the Notice of Privacy Practices.

If a Minor (anyone under 18 years) is: Is parental consent required?
Unmarried, no special circumstances Yes
Unmarried, emergency care and parents not available No
Married or previously married No
Emancipated (declaration by court, identification card from DMV) No
Self-sufficient (15 or older, not living at home, manages own financial affairs) No
Not married, care related to birth control or treatment of pregnancy, except sterilization No
Not married, seeking abortion No
On active duty with Armed Forces No
12 or older, care for communicable reportable disease or condition, including sexually transmitted disease No
12 or older, care for rape No
Care for sexual assault No
12 or older, care for mental health treatment, outpatient only No
12 or older, for vaccinations and medication to prevent sexually transmitted infections, before or after exposure No
12 or older, care for alcohol or drug abuse No

In addition to the consent for general medical care, parent consent is required for administration of each individual immunization to minors. Immunizations for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and Hepatitis B are exceptions to the parental consent requirement. The parent must read the Centers for Disease Control Vaccine Information Statement and sign the Immunization Consent form.

Providing the signed consent forms and acknowledgement form in advance is most helpful in ensuring prompt service. Prior to your first visit, please have your parent or legal guardian sign and fax these forms to SHS Medical Records at 858-534-7545.

Click here to download the Consent for Medical Treatment form.

Click here to download the Immunization Consent form.

Click here to download the Notice of Privacy Practices form.

Click here to read the Privacy Practices information.