All students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP each academic year. However, students who are able to demonstrate they have comparable coverage may be able to opt out of UC SHIP.
Students who complete a waiver application by the waiver deadline date(s) are not guaranteed to be approved and need to check their UCSD e-mail for notifications regarding their waiver.
Term Waiver Period Opens Waiver Deadline (no late fee) Late Waiver Deadline
($50 late fee)
Fall 2014 8/1/2014 9/26/2014 10/3/2014 Winter 2015 11/3/2014 12/17/2014 1/5/2015 Spring/Summer 2015 2/9/2015 3/20/2015 3/30/2015
Students who have acceptable comparable insurance coverage may apply for a waiver to opt out of UC SHIP. The waiver application is available online through TritonLink during scheduled waiver periods. Only one waiver per academic year may be processed through TritonLink.
If after entering all the required information you do not see the final screen 'UC SHIP WAIVER: COMPLETED', contact the Student Health Insurance Office prior to the waiver deadline to complete the waiver process.
If you are unable to access or complete the waiver application through TritonLink, contact the Student Health Insurance Office prior to the waiver deadline.
All waivers must be received prior to the waiver deadline date. No exceptions.
You must resolve the hold before you will be able to complete the online Health Insurance Fee Waiver application. If you are unable to resolve the hold before the waiver deadline, you must contact the Student Health Insurance Office before the deadline to complete the waiver process. The waiver deadline will NOT be extended.
Yes. Approved waivers are effective for the current academic year. If you wish to waive out of UC SHIP for subsequent academic years, a new waiver application will need to be submitted by the appropriate deadline each academic year.
Your waiver will be applied to the full academic year. You are required to maintain comparable health insurance at all times during the academic year, including summer. If your health coverage is terminated for any reason, you must notify the Student Health Services Insurance Office immediately to be enrolled in UC SHIP.
If your insurance meets the following waiver requirements, you may apply for a health fee waiver:
- Have an in-network doctor and hospital proving full non-emergency medical and behavioral health care within 40 miles from UC San Diego or your place of residence while attending school.
- Not have a limit on maximum benefits, such as per illness/injury, per year or per lifetime.
- Not have a pre-existing exclusion or limitation.
- Not have an out-of-pocket maximum of more than $6,350 for one individual.
- Provide at least 80% coverage for eligible charges.
- Provide coverage for preventative health care services, including an annual physical exam, immunizations and lab/diagnostic tests.
- Provide coverage for chronic disease management for conditions such as asthma, diabetes or other chronic medical conditions.
- Provide coverage for hospital stays for medical and surgical care.
- Provide coverage for hospital stays for mental health and alcohol /drug abuse conditions, the same as any other condition.
- Provide coverage for doctor visits for medical, mental health and alcohol/drug abuse conditions.
- Provide coverage for emergency room services.
- Provide coverage for diagnostic services, including laboratory tests.
- Provide coverage for maternity care, with no pre-existing condition limitation.
- Provide coverage for medical services related to injury from participation in all types of recreational activities or amateur sports.
- Provide coverage for medications prescribed by a doctor, including contraceptives (Note: prescription coverage may not be subject to a deductible of more than $250).
For international students, in addition to the above criteria, your policy:
- Not require you to pay out-of-pocket at the time of service and then be reuimbursed afterwards by your home government or other third party.
- Provide a policy written in English with benefits expressed in U.S. dollars.
- Must provide at least $10,000 for medical evacuation
- Must provide at least $7,500 for repatriation of remains
If your insurance does not meet the above requirements, you are not eligible to apply for a waiver. All submitted waivers are subject to audit.
The Health Insurance Fee is charged to ALL students as a mandatory registration fee. If you applied for a waiver, you should see a charge for the Health Insurance Fee AND a credit for the waiver. If you do not see the credit, or if the credit was reversed, it is possible that any one of the following occurred:
- Your waiver was submitted during the previous academic year.
- You submitted a waiver and were selected for audit but did not respond to our request for insurance documentation. As a result, your waiver credit was reversed.
- You submitted a waiver but it was denied because it did not meet the waiver requirements. As a result, your waiver credit was reversed.
- Your waiver was approved, however a hold on your student account may have prevented the waiver from crediting the Health Insurance Fee.
Contact the Student Health Insurance Office to discuss the status of your waiver.
It is your responsibility to check your official UCSD e-mail to verify the status of your waiver. Upon successful submission of your application via TritonLink, an e-mail will be sent to you confirming that your request has been transmitted. A second e-mail will be sent within 5 business days to let you know if your waiver has been approved or selected for audit.
If selected for audit, failure to respond to the audit notification will result in your waiver being denied and the Health Insurance Fee credit being reversed.
If you do not receive the e-mail notifications, it is your responsibility to contact the Student Health Insurance Office to discuss your waiver.
All students who pay full registration fees are entitled to use SHS, regardless of insurance. For students who waive UC SHIP, there will be a fee for all services received at SHS. Please refer to Cost of Services. SHS is not a participating (i.e. in-network, preferred, etc.) provider with any insurance plan, and does not accept or bill private insurance.
All charges incurred at SHS will be billed to the student's campus billing account if not paid for at the time of service. You may obtain an itemized bill for SHS services by clicking on On-Line Services.
All students who waive out of UC SHIP are required to maintain effective health insurance coverage at all times during the approved waiver period.
If your insurance coverage terminates, you must contact the Student Health Insurance Office immediately to be enrolled into UC SHIP for the remainder of the academic year. You will be required to complete the Exception to Closed Enrollment form.
Unless your other insurance coverage terminates (see previous question), you may not cancel a waiver for the current quarter. If you wish to cancel your waiver for subsequent quarters, you must complete the Waiver Cancellation form and submit it to the SHS Insurance Office prior to the first day of the quarter.